Sunday 1 February 2009

A new start

After the lower leg injury of last weekend, plus taking on board John's and Greg's advice, I decided that I needed to be a little less impatient and develop a sensible strategy. The leg was starting to feel better on Monday morning so I decided that I would take a long (ish) brisk walk on Monday evening and then try to alternate running and walking days. My plan was that the walking would stop my muscles from going back to sleep while giving everything a bit of a rest at the same time. I also decided to take some of the advice from Runner's World http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=29
It says that you should comfortably be able to build from nothing to running continuously for 30 minutes in the space of eight weeks. It suggests that you follow this plan:

Week 1 Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week.
Week 2 Run two mins, walk one min. Repeat seven times. Do three times a week.
Week 3 Run three mins walk one mins. Repeat six times. Do three times a week.
Week 4 Run five mins, walk two mins. Repeat four times. Do times a week.
Week 5 Run eight mins, walk two mins. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk one min. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
Week 7 Run 15 mins, walk one min, Run fifteen mins. Do three times a week
Week 8 Run 30 mins continuously.


It does also say that if you are over 40, you should start by doing lots of walking for about 4 weeks before starting the above. But, I have decided to start by with a brisk walk for a couple of minutes followed by alternate 30 second runs/50-60 second walks for about 2.5 miles which takes about 30 minutes. This is from the Oasis cafe at Overcombe to the Pier Bandstand in Weymouth and back again.

We were away in Amsterdam for Tuesday and Wednesday but on Thursday evening, I started my new training plan. I also decided to cut down to T-shirt and sweatshirt plus hat and gloves and to try to stick to my beach front promenade running track.

5.30pm Thursday. Dusk, dry with brisk icy east wind blowing straight off the sea, brrrrrr! Promenade more or less deserted. Off I go. It seemed to go well. I was warming up (as in - no longer freezing cold) by the time I was into the last half mile and by the time I clambered back into the car, I felt as if I had stretched and exercised everything and needed to turn down the heating.

Friday was piano lesson so didn't do anything but Saturday morning at 11am, was back to running 30 secs/walking 50 secs. This seems to work well. Don't think I'm going to do anything today (Sunday) but will be doing either run/walk or walk only tomorrow (Monday).

No comments:

Post a Comment