Tuesday 17 February 2009

Have I arrived?

To begin with, I felt very self conscious. I wasn't a runner. I was a bit of fraud, pretending to be a runner. As I passed young athletes pounding along the promenade I thought, "what am I doing here?". But now, I'm beginning to feel a bit more relaxed about it. I've started to feel almost as if I have as much right to be there as the rest of them. In fact, I'm beginning to almost fell at home on the promenade between 5 and 6 pm.
So, it was my intention to get out there on Saturday. That didn't quite materialise. Sunday? That one didn't ether. But, Monday, 5.15 I was striding down Bowleaze hill where I park the car, limbering up for my run/walk.
I decided to extend the 60 second run/90 second walk a little. I tried 70 second run / 90 second walk, (OK, I know that is a bit a a feeble increment, but let's not get too carried away). The aching muscles have subsided to the extent that I hardly notice now. But, after 70 seconds, I'm absolutely gasping for breath. It isn't so bad while I'm actually running but when I count to 70, and slow down to a brisk walk, I'm exhausted. I'm sure it will get better as I progress. I'm going to start upping it gradually and hope to get to 2 mins running / 1 min walking by the middle of next week.
I finished up with a walk to the top of Bowleaze hill and ran back down to the car. That was easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment