Saturday 24 January 2009

Day 3 / 4

My approach to my training regime has been consistent with most things I do. Construction of flat pack furniture, for example:
1) Begin assembly
2) Scratch head
3) Read instructions
4) Attempt adaptation
5) Dismantle
6) Re-assemble . . . according to instructions
7) Puzzle over surplus components

The training plan (plan?) has been thus:
1) Day 1 - go running
2) Day 2 - go hobbling
3) Day 3 - Research tips for beginners
4) Day 3 - Ignore advice and go running/hobbling again
5) Day 4 - Take advice and take a day off!

So, I'm not going out running this evening. I did go yesterday evening however and (contrary to above) did take some advice, but not much.

Some of the beginner's tips, for the benefit of any other wannabes out there are summarised as follows:

1) Do your warm-up by brisk walking
2) Do take it easy Either do a run/walk programme or run at a pace at which you can chat with a friend without being out of breath.
3) Do run by time, not distance Measure your run by time spent running, not by miles covered. That is, try to run for 30 minutes rather than for three miles.


You can find all this on http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=815

So, I did the brisk walk bit to begin with and then ran. GOD, that hurt! But, gradually, it felt better. I took a couple of walking breaks and then I made a huge mistake. When I reached the end of the first stretch, the end of the promenade, I sat down on one of the convenient seats for a short rest. When I stood up again, OUCH! New lesson - slow down to walking pace but don't stop.

I ditched the ski jacket this time but as it was a bit cold, opted for the alternative of two fleeces. Not good. I was steaming well before the end. Luke suggested that I should wear trackies rather than jeans, something I had already considered and, I know I have a pair somewhere but can't find them. So, jeans it had to be. Can't quite contemplate shorts in the current arctic conditions.

The return leg required a walking spell about half way and then I started running again. The startling thing was that it started to seem easier. Yes, my legs were killing me, but I found that I was not running out of breath so easily and it seemed easier to keep going. And, I was really enjoying it.

Had to take off one of the fleeces though. And the the hat, and the gloves. I'm going to have to sort out the right clothing.

Back home and the legs, arrghhh!. As soon as you rest, they seize up. But, after a quick meal, I went out to play table tennis for a couple of hours, not continuously I should add, and the legs didn't seem so bad.

This morning I felt like a cripple for the first half hour but it has eased through the day and I'm feeling pretty good now (8pm).

Tomorrow (Saturday), I'm going to get the bike out. God, I'm beginning to sound like some kind of fitness freak, and those who know me will appreciate how weird this is beginning to sound.

There will now be three of us running in London. Well, probably quite a few more, but I mean Luke, Greg and me. So, don't forget, you can donate at www.justgiving.com/michaelseall and www.justgiving.com/lukeseall and www.justgiving.com/gregrosssampson


No comments:

Post a Comment