Tuesday 31 March 2009

Getting into the groove again


OK, I haven't posted an entry for what, two or three weeks? I was getting along fine, gradually extending my distance until I was managing about 7km non stop. Pretty damned good I thought. In fact, things were going so well that I let myself be talked into signing up for a 10k on Easter Saturday. Yikes! That is now 5 days away!
So, 7km up, and looking good. And then, I went skiing with Mark and Luke in Switzerland, staying at Mark and Nadine's place in Zurich. The skiing was great, weather variable and hospitality second to none of course.
When I returned, I thought that it was time to start extending the 7km. First day out, was Tuesday 31st March. Oh my god, it was RUBBISH! I was gasping for breath, no stamina, completely out of the groove. I was despondent, I had forgotten how to do it.
Next day out was Thursday. RUBBISH again. Couldn't breathe, sweating, everywhere! Head swimming, disaster.
I decided to go out again on Friday even though I had set myself a rule to avoid two consecutive days. First thing I did was slow down again. Really slow this time. Breathing was OK, stamina, well not bad. Managed 6km non stop. Hallelujah! Got it back.
Nothing over the weekend but out again this evening (Monday). But, it was raining and I wasn't really very keen so just did 2 km. So out again Tuesday to start building the distance ready for the weekend. Eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment